3.25.2008

Easter with the Worthens

friday Mom, Dad, the phelps, the paynes, and our family took a trip to go see our cousins and uncle lee and aunt judy in arizona. aunt judy saved amazing seats for all of us at the mesa easter pageant friday night. cousins boyd and niki and aunt judy were all apart of the pageant which made it really exciting to watch and look for the scenes that they were in. boyd played Jesus in a couple of the scenes. they all did a wonderful job. the pageant was really good and it was so nice to have something more than just eggs, baskets and chocolate as part of our easter this year. the spirit was felt there and it was helpful to me to have such a powerful visual of Christ and the events of His life. we also got to go inside the visitors center there on the temple grounds and walk through the "Reflections of Christ" exhibit. WOW! it was a room with photographs taken by an artist that happens to be friends with my cousin boyd. photographs of Christ like walking on water, on the cross, his birth, and many other scenes from His life. i loved the one of Christ walking on water and a photograph of Christ with his side/back facing the camera and he is just glowing in white...it was amazing. i can't wait for the artist to release them for purchase; they are very moving. we also got to see my other cousin, sis. ashcraft there at the temple where she is serving her mission. she seemed very happy to be there and it was fun to see her. we went to syd and david's for homemade pistachio and butterfinger ice cream...yum! david didn't like the ice cream because the worthens make theirs with pudding and the cummards don't'. i'm really bummed that i won't be at the next ice cream night when they make one batch of each and then take a vote on which is the better recipe.
saturday morning we went to wendy and lonny's house for breakfast and to celebrate boyd's 28th birthday. we had fresh fruit and cereal and yummy bagels. cort put butter on the bagels and then toasted them by placing them on a pancake skillet. i had never seen them done that way and they were delicious. after breakfast the guys all went shooting and then went to todd and courtney's to watch the unlv game, while all the girls took the kids to a nice pool in wendy's development to go swimming. we had fun just chatting and hanging out with each other. we went back to wendy's house and had six foot subs and fresh salsa. the kids colored easter eggs and then hid them in wendy's back yard for each other to find. then they got into an egg fight and there was smashed eggs all over the back yard...it was pretty gross. after getting that mess all picked up we just hung out and let the kids play.
sunday morning we headed over to courtney and todd's house for easter breakfast and for the easter egg hunt. we had all kinds of food but my favorite were the belgian waffles and this amazing buttermilk syrup. it was the best syrup i've had in my entire life. everything was so good and it was fun to be with everyone one last time before we had to leave. not only did i have a blast over the weekend, i learned lots and got some great new ideas like, the bagels, the syrup, hillary's life-size poster, real grass easter baskets, the girls necklaces, and i'll have to think of some more later. after breakfast all 25 kids went out and hunted for eggs using the super cute (real grass inside) easter baskets that courtney made for each of them. so fun! i couldn't help but think of grandma and grandpa worthen and how happy they must have felt to see us all together; to see what special people we all are, and to see how many beautiful and healthy great grandchildren they have. the saying, "all because two people fell in love" was very relevant to me in that moment. it really was priceless for me to watch them all together, i had to walk away at one moment because of the tears that were welling up. i'm so thankful to my Father in Heaven that families are forever. my cousins were so wonderful to invite us into their homes and to take the time that they did to plan activities and meals for all of us. it was so organized and really just so wonderful. i'm so glad that i was able to spend some well needed time with my cousins, to get to know them and watch them with their families; it had been a really long time and so much had changed. i have always loved and looked up to them and pretty sure that i wanted to be them at different times in my youth. they are sweet, genuine people and i love each of them very much. it was so nice to see niki again and to meet melissa for the first time; they are both such beautiful and sweet girls and i can totally see and understand why my aunt and cousins adore them they way they do. while we were there we found out that kyle and melissa are expecting their first child and i'm so excited for them. i'm grateful that my children had the chance to meet all of those cute cousins of theirs and that they could see what a special family we belong to.


20 comments:

Michelle said...

What a fun time! Missin' your cute kids!

Heidi said...

What a fun family get together!! Now...did you get a recipe for this syrup you are talking about?? It sounds yummy! And I think I am going to try the bagel technique! Thanks for sharing!!

Melissa D. said...

How fun! What a great family you have. I'm with Heidi...let us in on this syrup recipe.

Mindy said...

OK i think you are you know what bent on putting funny looking pictures of me on your blog like hello the first one what is that? now i need to go back and finish what you wrote I started to cry and decided to look at the pictures to make me laugh. I am with you on what Grandma must be thinking except I think it was "Well, its about time." her heart has got to be so full right now I just kept wishing she was there to hold our hands and pat the tops and hug those great grand babies and laugh her beautiful laugh. I miss her laugh and her voice and her hands and her UNLV shirts, sweat pants and jackets!! I miss her!

sydney said...

FIRST OFF- Wiping away tears. Mindy, we all know that Norma was THE biggest BYU fan!! I also know that she and Gramps are smiling from ear to ear. How I miss them. One day!! What a great weekend! My favorite part of all was to see what good men take care of my aunt and cousins!! Scott, Johnny, James, and Cory, THANK YOU!! See you at Thanksgiving!!

The Foster Family said...

Thanksgiving can not come fast enough. The weekend was perfect, and I was just so glad we all just loved hanging out. We had so many more plans for the weekend, but sitting around and talking seemed to be what was best! You're babies are beautiful, you're husbands were wonderful, and you are all great moms and wives. Sending you the recipes I have today. Love you all!

Bettina said...

My mouth watered. You are always talking about such good things to eat!!!! I understand not everything, what means "yummy" I can't find it in my dictionary.By the way, what about this cheesecake factorys. I don't eat cake, but cheescake is always possible. Do you get only different cheesecake there? Maybe you can send me a picture from inside. My e-mail:
bettinab14@web.de
We had snow at easter-Monday!!!!

☂niki. said...

aww, you got me cryin. and wow, you took lots of pics! it was so fun to look back on it all again! i'm so happy to be kenna's "favorite" she is such a sweetie!i'm so jealous of that hair of hers! i can't wait to see you guys again! i'm so glad you all came! we had so much fun! love you guys!!! tell kenna hi for me. i miss her already!

Nicole Cave said...

You guys will remember times like this forever! Happy Easter!

C-dawg and the Pound Puppies said...

I miss you even more than I did before. Why can't you all move here and we'll all be Sun Devils. "Mormons for Devils"! Forget BYU & UNLV! It'll be great! I had the best weekend. I'm so excited to go up there for Thanksgiving. I love your kids and your husbands. Can we plan something sooner, I don't know if I can wait that long to see you all again! We sure missed April. And you need to stay with us next time - no hotel!! My beds are much more comfortable!

I love you all so much!!

PS - I sent your mom the recipes for the syrup & the waffles.

PPS - Todd wanted me to say that he loves the sunglass picture of Johnny on the blog!

PSS - Thanks for not posting any swimsuit pictures!!

Josh&Lizzy said...

You are my hero-- so diligent and awesome with the photos and journaling... it's so cool to have a little peek into your lives. Looks like you guys have been playing hard!

Heidi said...

you have GOT to increase the font size. i know have a headache from squinting to read the print. --Andrew

steph j. said...

Heidi & Melissa, I will post the syrup recipe soon.

Bettina, Next time we go to the Cheesecake factory I will try to remember my camera, they all kinds of different cheesecake, you could probzbly go to www.cheesecakefactory.com and see pictures.

Worthen Family: I'm really glad we can all stop crying now. Thank you for the recipes. Cort, I asked Johnny if we could move there...he didn't really answer me but we went out with our good friends last night and they said they would move there too. We'll see...I'd have to talk the rest of my family into it too.

Andrew, I made the font bigger...happy, by the way how old are you? j/k!!!

Heidi said...

Aaaaahhhhhh, that is MUCH better! Thanks! Oh, and I'm 33, which means my life is almost over. I'm depressed. --Andrew

Heidi said...

BTW, what is up with Mindy locking her blog? She at least owes me an invite to the blog as payment for calling me like 6 times a day when she was 13. LOL. --Andrew

Mindy said...

not cool Andrew! Ahh the good old days huh? I think I am so red right now. That is so funny. Your family is so cute! e-mail me at mnjphelps @mvdsl.com and I will send you an invite

Heidi said...

Mindy--I hope you're red with embarrasment and not with anger. I was kidding. It was really only like 4 times a day! :) --Andrew

☂niki. said...

that is so funny about connor! i love it! i just showed my mom and sis the pics of kenna in her skirt and they loved them! she is so beautiful! does she miss me yet??

Brad and Leslie said...

Ok - this is hilarious! I just started blogging and I just found you guys by chance. I love your blog! I need to figure out how to add links to my page....AH! I just saw Andrew & Heidi below! They're hearing from me next!

Brad and Leslie said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog - I feel so special! I'm e-mailing Jonathan right now about the next fight night. It's on my anniversary - April 19th. You guys will have to plan on coming!